Lubia Polo (Persian Green Bean Rice)
Lubia Polo (Persian Green Bean Rice) by Aida (@artinlunchbox)
- 4 cups fresh green beans, (150 g) cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 pound stewing beef or lamb (450 g) cubed, about 1 inch pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 6 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- Salt, pepper, oil
- 2 cups basmati rice, (370 grams) soaked for one hour or up to overnight
- 2 tablespoons salt, for parboiling the rice and will be rinsed out
- 2 tablespoons oil
- In a large sized frying pan, add 2 tablespoons of oil and saute the onion over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Add turmeric and saute for an additional couple of minutes. Remove the onions from the pan and set aside in a medium sized bowl.
- Add 2 additional tablespoons of oil and saute the green beans over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Stir frequently. Remove from the pan and add to the bowl with the sauted onions.
Using the same pan, add 2 tablespoons of oil and saute the grand beef on high heat for about 5 minutes. Lower the flame, cover and cook the beef in its own juice for about 20 minutes.
Return the onion and green beans mixture to the pan, add salt, pepper and tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes until the tomato paste has been well integrated into the dish.
While the stew is cooking, rinse the soaked rice several times and bring 8 cups of water and 2 tablespoons of salt to a boil.
- Add the rinsed rice and boil on high heat uncovered for about 5-7 minutes. The rice should still have some texture and density to it.
- Drain the rice in a large colander and set aside while you prepare the pan.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of oil in a nonstick pot and arrange the sliced potatoes on the bottom. This will be the crispy potato Tahdig!
- Begin by layering a 1/3 of the partially cooked rice and a 1/3 of the green beans mixture into the pot and repeat until all of the rice and the green beans have been layered in the pot. Gently mix the rice and the beans mixture to have a more uniform mixture.
- Wrap the lid with a clean towel and place on top of the pot. Allow the rice to steam over a medium-low to medium heat for about 45 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
Select a large tray or platter to place on top of the pan and carefully and swiftly invert the rice onto the platter.
- Serve the rice with a piece of butter on top and a side of yogurt .