Mac n Cheese
Mac and cheese is always a big hit in our household, especially THIS Mac and cheese! My husband and kids eat it up every time, and it’s even better as leftovers. But the real winner for any parent, is that it is easy and quick! Once you try this recipe, you won’t be tempted to go for the boxed Mac and cheese sitting in your cupboard anymore!
Makes an 8x8 pan or double recipe for 9x13 pan.
- 1.5 cups dry elbow macaroni
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 cups milk (1% or 2%)
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (sharp orange cheddar is my favourite)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the elbow macaroni according to package instructions. Drain and set aside in pot.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and melt the butter.
- Stir in flour and heat until slightly thickened.
- Whisk in milk and continue to stir over a low simmer until thickened. About 5-7 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat. Add shredded cheese and stir until combined.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour cheese sauce over macaroni noodles and stir until well-coated. The excess sauce will be absorbed during baking.
- Transfer into 8x8 pan. Bake for 20-30 minutes.
- Optional: broil for additional 4-5 minutes for a crispy brown top.