Aaloo/Potato Sandwich (Indian Style)
Aaloo/Potato Sandwich (Indian Style) by Golla (@vedsmommadeit)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 small onion diced into small cubes
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (optional)
- 3 pinches of salt
- 1 potato boiled, peeled, and mashed with the back of a spoon
- 2 bread slices
- Butter to spread on the bread
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium to low heat.
- Add cumin seeds and fry for 10 seconds.
- Add onions and sauté them till they turn transparent, should take a couple of minutes.
- Now add salt and turmeric powder (optional--this is a staple ingredient in any Indian household, known for its anti-inflammatory properties and adds color to the dish) and stir into the onions.
- Finally add the boiled and mashed potatoes to the pan and mix all the ingredients till combined.
- Sprinkle a little water to mix well, if you think the mixture is dry.
Building the sandwich:
- Take a white bread slice, and slather with butter on the outer side. Do it for both slices of bread.
- Take a spoonful (actually add as much as you want) of the potato mixture, put it on the inside of the bread slice, and gently spread it.
- Now top it with another bread slice and toast both sides on a pan until it turns into a nice golden brown color.
- Cut the sandwich into half and serve or pack in the school lunch box like I did.
Optional items and notes:
- Cilantro and boiled peas can be used to give different flavors. Add them to the pan along with the boiled potatoes and mix well.
- You can use lime juice instead of water at the end to sprinkle, it adds a zesty flavor.
- Red chili flakes/ green chilies / black pepper powder if you like it spicy. I did not put any as I was packing the sandwich for my 5-year-old in his school lunch box.
- Water to sprinkle at the end to make sure all the items are combined well.
- I keep the boiled and mashed potatoes in the refrigerator for 2-3 days in an airtight container and use it in the mornings as needed. Saves a lot of time and takes just 10-15 minutes to pack the lunch box for my son.