Green Peas Pulao
Green Peas Pulao by Sneha (@lunchwithriaan)
Green Peas Pulao, also known as matar pulao, is a classic Indian rice dish made with basmati rice, whole spices, herbs and of course green peas as they are the star of this dish. ‘Matar’ is the Hindi word for ‘green peas’ and pulao is a word for pilaf. So this is more commonly known as matar pulao. This easy one pot dish is super simple to make and just takes 30 minutes.
- Basmati rice
- Green peas (matar, fresh or frozen)
- Ginger garlic paste
- Coriander leaves fine chopped)
- 1 medium onion (sliced or chopped)
- 2 tablespoon oil or ghee
- 1 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 4 to 5 green cardamoms (elaichi)
- 4 to 5 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 inch cinnamon piece (or Ceylon cinnamon three – 2 inch pieces)
- Heat ghee or oil in a pot or cooker
- Next add cumin, cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf. Saute them for a minute.
- Add onions if using and fry until golden. Keep stirring them while frying.
- Next add ginger garlic paste and fry until the raw smell goes away.
- Sauté mint leaves for 2 mins.
- Next add peas and rice. Saute for 3 to 4 mins.
- Pour water and add salt. Stir well and taste test. Add more if needed. The water must taste medium salty. For pressure cooker, cook for 1 whistle on a medium high flame. Turn off and remove from stove immediately.
- Garnish with some chopped cilantro and enjoy with some raita.