Nasi Lemak (Coconut Rice)
Nasi Lemak (Coconut Rice) Recipe by Jesslyn (@crafty_mama_house)
- 3 cups rice (preferably Thai fragrant rice)
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 550 ml water
- 5 pcs pandan leaves (screwpine leaves)
- 1½ tsp salt or to taste
- 2.5cm ginger (shredded)
- Sweet sambal
- 15g dried chili (trim and cut into 2-3pcs, boil in hot water and drained)
- 2 fresh red chilies
- 3 large onions
- 1 small knob of belacan (shrimp paste)
- 50g palm sugar
- 1pc tamarind peel (asam keping)
- 1 cup cooking oil
- ½ cup water
- Salt, to taste
For the coconut rice:
- Place washed rice, salt and knotted pandan leaves in an electric rice cooker.
- Add coconut milk, water, ginger and salt over the rice and leave to soak for 30 mins.
- Then press “Cook”. Once cooked and on “keep warm” button, fluff rice with a ladle or chopsticks. Leave it on to keep warm.
For the sweet sambal:
- Blend dried chili, fresh red chilies, onions, and shrimp paste until it's a fine paste.
- Heat cooking oil in a wok, deep fry 1 cup of ikan bilis ( dried anchovies) till golden brown. Dish aside.
- Add in blended A into remaining oil, sauté till fragrant and aromatic.
- Add gula Melaka, tamarind peel, ½ cup water and salt, continue to sauté over low flame for 15-20 mins. When the paste becomes thick, taste and add more to your preference. Dish out.
- Serve with coconut rice and garnish with fried anchovies, cucumber slices, hard-boiled eggs or deep fried egg and toasted peanuts.